Wednesday 2 April 2008

Ad rant: Cadbury's 'Trucks'

I've just seen the latest Cadbury 'Trucks' ad back-to-back against the latest mini Babybel ad, and I have to say that the less highly polished Babybel ad came out on top. Ok, so the idea of a small product being made by small people seems vaguely familiar, but at least it made me laugh.
Whereas 'Trucks' left me feeling cold. The only reaction I had was that of disappointment. Never mind the hype, I just couldn't emotionally engage with it. It felt like something was missing.
 
'Gorilla', however, worked for me because it had that classic 'creative twist' (in this case it's a gorilla playing the drums) that everyone in advertising used to talk about. But it's this sort of twist that 'Trucks' lacks, and as a result we're left with an idea which in comparison actually seems quite normal. Something I'd never thought I'd say about an ad showing baggage handlers having a race on an airport runway!

No comments:

Post a Comment